Pupil premium provides an opportunity to ensure a fair and inclusive education for all students by narrowing attainment gaps between different groups of students.
What is pupil premium?
Pupil premium was introduced by the government in April 2011 and is an additional payment to our main college funding, available to raise the aspirations and achievement of disadvantaged students, partly by providing personalised support. Pupils included are those who are eligible for free school meals (or have been in the last six years), those children who have been looked after continuously for more than six months and those with parents in the armed forces.
The aim when using this funding is to enable accelerated progress with target groups, using a data-driven and evidence-based approach. It can be used to provide additional support in the classroom, raise aspirations and engage parents.
At Irlam and Cadishead Academy we spend the funding specifically on additional educational support to raise the standards of attainment for disadvantaged students. We do this through:
- Rigorously tracking and monitoring student attendance and progress
- One-to-one support and mentoring by teachers and support staff
- Providing enrichment activities
- Support disadvantaged students in music lessons, graded exams and other examinations
- Small group work and class support
- At ICA our ethos is “Aspire, work hard and achieve” and it is our responsibility to help these young people, despite the barriers to achievement they may encounter, to fulfil their potential and succeed at Irlam and Cadishead Academy, in further education, in the workplace and the wider world.
To ensure all pupil premium students at Irlam and Cadishead Academy:
- have high aspirations in school and beyond
- achieve a positive Progress 8 score, in line with other students
- achieve at least expected progress in GCSE English and Maths, based on the prior attainment in Key Stage 2
- achieve attendance/punctuality above the national average and in line with other students
- are engaged and enjoy the opportunities provided by the Irlam & Cadishead Academy curriculum
- participate in a range of extra-curricular activities, clubs, trips, etc.
- are supported by active parental engagement that encourages participation, attainment and achievement
To view our pupil premium strategy statement, click HERE